Wednesday 6 August 2014

Self Belief is Important.

Interactions with some of my students recently made me aware of the importance of consistently sharing the good that you see in them, and the belief that they can be achieve.

These students want to be good. They want to achieve. They can identify the areas they want to achieve and the steps to achieving their goals. There was one vital ingredient missing. The belief that they could achieve. Their lack of belief manifested itself as poor behaviour, copied work, incomplete tasks, avoidance, tasks that hadn't even been started. After trying every carrot and stick trick in the book, an impromptu (individual) talk with some of them accidentally unlocked the door to progress.

One student told me that he thought I was his best teacher, ever. (Despite me being 'on his case' about achieving his learning goals) I know a lot of students say that to their teachers every year so I didn't suddenly feel like 'Super-teacher'. I just politely thanked him and asked him why. His answer surprised me. "Because sometimes school is hard and you make me feel like I can do this stuff." After all of the planning and preparation, which is a vital part of being and effective teacher, it was the peripheral encouragement and positive feedback that fueled his self belief that success was possible. 
When talking with another, he broke down when I told him that he was capable and that I believed he could meet his learning goals, and even extend them. "No. I'm stupid." he sobbed as he thumped the desk. The problem was crystal clear and the solution was simple. We have now adopted a mantra of pointing out the positives and referring to successes already achieved to reinforce student self-belief that they can succeed. The results are pleasing in both academic progress, and in classroom behaviour.

I realise that simply telling a student that you believe in them and constantly repeating that is not a magic bullet that fixes all behaviour and learning problems. It's not always the solution. Those words on their own are hollow, empty rhetoric. But a heavy dose of affirming language has been a vital ingredient in getting some students to make progress. So for now, we'll keep dishing more of it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment